Verstappen overcomes two Safety Car restarts to win Chinese Grand Prix.
Verstappen extended his lead in the championship by securing 33 points from the Shanghai weekend, finishing 13 seconds ahead of Norris by the end of the race.
21st April 2024, 10:03
Written by Will Wood
RaceFans

Verstappen led from the start and held his lead through two mid-race Safety Car periods. Perez had run in second place behind his team mate for the first half of the race but dropped down to fourth when rivals took advantage of the Safety Car to fit hard tyres to run to the end of the race.

Perez managed to pass Leclerc to take back fourth place but could not hunt down Norris for second. Leclerc finish four seconds from the Red Bull driver in fourth with Sainz ten seconds behind his team mate in fifth. George Russell was sixth ahead of Fernando Alonso in seventh, who pitted late in the race after taking the Safety Car restart on soft tyres. Oscar Piastri was eighth ahead of Lewis Hamilton in ninth, with Nico Hulkenberg claiming the final point in tenth but is under investigation.

‘Verstappen overcomes two Safety Car restarts’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/04/21/...se-grand-prix/

2024 Chinese Grand Prix - Race results
21/04/2024 at 09:55
Andrew Lewin
F1i.com

Full race results from the Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai, round 5 of the 2024 Formula 1 season.
2024 Chinese Grand Prix - Race results
Pos Driver Team Gap Stops
1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 56 laps - 1:40:52.554s 1
2 Lando Norris McLaren + 13.773s 2
3 Sergio Pérez Red Bull + 19.160s 2
4 Charles Leclerc Ferrari + 23.623s 1
5 Carlos Sainz Ferrari + 33.983s 1
6 George Russell Mercedes + 38.724s 2
7 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin + 43.414s 3
8 Oscar Piastri McLaren + 56.198s 2
9 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes + 57.986s 2
10 Nico Hülkenberg Haas + 60.476s 2

‘Full race results from the Chinese Grand Prix’;

https://f1i.com/news/505964-2024-chi...e-results.html

Norris splits Red Bulls in incident-filled F1 Chinese Grand Prix.
The ease with which Verstappen won the sprint race the day before despite starting fourth foreshadowed a walkover, and that proved accurate - but Red Bull was denied 1-2 as circumstances of the race dropped Sergio Perez behind McLaren's Lando Norris and he couldn't recover the place.
Apr 21, 2024
by Valentin Khorounzhiy
The Race

Formula 1 championship leader Max Verstappen dominated a double safety car-interrupted Chinese Grand Prix in F1's first full-distance race at the venue since 2019. And despite an error for Norris that cost him a second or so at one point, Perez ultimately had no answer at all for the Briton - who celebrated his 15th podium in F1 in second place, finishing 13.7s behind Verstappen.

Perez and Leclerc completed the top four, with Leclerc's team-mate Carlos Sainz 10 seconds back in fifth. Russell was the lead Mercedes in sixth after mounting half-a-challenge against Sainz late on, while Alonso took seventh. The two-time champion had gambled on the soft tyre during the race interruption, which meant he had to pit again during the final stint of the race.

He was sixth when Bottas' car failed, cleared Sainz for fifth, but dropped out of the points once he pitted. But with the use of fresher tyres Alonso naturally made his way back through, including a sequence in which he had a huge moment catching the gravel at the final corner and very nearly replicating Sainz's crash from qualifying, only to straighten it out, keep up the momentum and overtake Lewis Hamilton and Oscar Piastri in very quick succession after that.

‘Max Verstappen dominated’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/n...se-grand-prix/

Verstappen charges to victory over Norris and Perez in action-packed Chinese GP
21st April 2024, 10:03
Formula One - Official Site

Max Verstappen converted pole position into victory in a Chinese Grand Prix full of incidents and overtakes, leading home McLaren’s Lando Norris and Red Bull team mate Sergio Perez to make it four wins from five races so far this season. Verstappen led the vast majority of a strategic encounter at the Shanghai International Circuit that featured a Virtual Safety Car and two full Safety Car periods, the Dutchman keeping his cool at the front as the drama unfolded behind him.

Norris was one of three drivers, along with Ferrari pair Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz, to make just one pit stop, having benefitted from the VSC and Safety Car phases to jump Perez for second position, which he managed to hold to the finish. Leclerc and Sainz followed in fourth and fifth respectively, despite some concerns from the Monegasque in the closing stages that his tyres would not be able to make it to the end, with George Russell leading Mercedes’ charge en route to sixth.

‘Verstappen charges to victory’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...5tEQt62umIGhob

Max Verstappen explains late Chinese GP concerns after worried radio call
21 Apr 2024 10:08 AM
Thomas Maher
PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen got on the radio in the closing laps of the Chinese Grand Prix, asking his team to pay close attention to his tyres. Verstappen was assured over team radio that “everything looked OK”, as the Dutch driver explained his concerns immediately after the chequered flag. “You hear always noises a little bit,” he said.

“Of course, I’ve had it in the past that I’ve retired quite close to the end and then there was a bit of debris, I think, from a car so I passed it [at] 300[kph] and, when the tyres are getting cold and old, it’s very easy to puncture them and I just wanted to double-check.” Asked to explain his dramatic moments during the Grand Prix, Verstappen’s list was short.

“I locked up in the second restart into [Turn] 6, a little bit. So that was not ideal,” he said. “Then I threw a tear-off away which I think I could hear on the intake. It was flapping around and hitting my helmet. So I don’t know where it ended up. With two laps to go, I think I drove over a little bit of debris before Turn 14. So then a little bit scary, because it’s easy to have a puncture at high speed when you drive over carbon.”

‘Max Verstappen explains… …worried radio call’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...ese-grand-prix

Lando Norris breaks F1 protocol after brilliant second place finish in Chinese Grand Prix
Published: 10:41, 21 Apr 2024
Anton Stanley, Deputy Editor of talkSPORT.com
talkSPORT

Lando Norris put in a stunning performance at the Chinese Grand Priz - but then made a uncharacteristic mistake. But after taking the flag, Norris made a big error. The British star brought his car into the pit lane in parc fermé instead of leaving his car in the specified spot on the gird where all those who made the podium were meant to park.

And it was noted by eagle-eyed Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz, quickly informing his team of a rules infraction, especially if Norris reversed at any point in the pit lane. "Norris was in Pit entry," said the Spaniard. Xavier Marcos Padros, his race engineer, replied: "Copy. He did a mistake. He should have gone to the grid."

‘Lando Norris breaks F1 protocol’;

https://talksport.com/sport/1837293/...se-grand-prix/

Mercedes explain problem which held Lewis Hamilton back at F1 Chinese Grand Prix

Mercedes detail the reason for Lewis Hamilton's P9 finish in Shanghai
21 Apr 2024
James Dielhenn
Crash.Net

Mercedes have explained that an F1 Chinese Grand Prix to forget for Lewis Hamilton was due to tyre temperature. Hamilton came home in P9 in Shanghai after recovering from starting from 18th.

“Lewis struggled with rear tyre temperature all race, likely as a result of the balance of the car. He benefitted from the Safety Cars but ultimately was unfortunate not to take P8 at the end, not quite able to get into Piastri’s DRS range.”

“It’s been a weekend of contrasts. Likely the sweeping changes made after the Sprint didn’t help but we were able to race competitively against the McLarens, Ferraris, and the Aston Martin of Alonso.” Hamilton experienced a topsy-turvy weekend at the fifth round of the 2024 F1 season.

‘Problem which held Lewis Hamilton back’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104724...ese-grand-prix