Christian Horner “write Sergio Perez off” claim met with “I recommended him!”
“Far from writing him off, I seem to remember recommending him to you, at one point!”
20 Apr 2024
James Dielhenn
Crash.Net

Red Bull boss Horner had teased Sky Sports’ pundits about previous criticism of Perez. The under-pressure Perez has claimed three P2 finishes in four grands prix this year, and qualified for Sunday’s F1 Chinese Grand Prix in second behind teammate Max Verstappen. “You guys have a tendency to write him off but he’s doing a great job,” Horner told the Sky Sports studio.

1996 F1 champion Hill replied to Horner: “Far from writing him off, I seem to remember recommending him to you, at one point!” Horner addressed Perez’s upturn in form: “He is an important part of the team. It’s about working collectively. He has great engineering support around him. He feels comfortable. He knows that he’s out of contract so he’s driving for his future.”

“He responds to pressure in the best possible way. Some drivers respond to pressure, and others wilt.” Horner said to Hill: “It reminds me of your 1995 and 1996 seasons. Over that winter, you certainly came back a different driver in ‘96. It is similar with Checo. He has gone away, wintered well, changed a few things in his approach, and he is driving well.”

“Doing a great job”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104717...ecommended-him

How Perez seems to have secured his Red Bull future
April 21, 2024
Andrew Maitland
Grandpx.news

Sergio Perez’s prospects of continuing with Red Bull Racing are becoming increasingly strong. With his current agreement due to expire at the end of 2024, discussions around an extension are timely. This discussion coincides with Carlos Sainz, a key player on the driver market, also exploring new opportunities.

As negotiations progress, it seems the primary hurdle in finalizing a new contract for Perez is his preference for a commitment that spans beyond a single year. Despite potential complications, the team’s current synergy and performance are robust, indicating little desire to disrupt the status quo.

Dr Helmut Marko, while discussing the situation, confirmed, “Checo’s second place proves that this year is his strongest season to date. That is of course very important for the future.” However, Marko acknowledged the consideration of Sainz, stating, “Of course, you always want to have the best people in the team. But with Checo’s performance and the harmony, it’s just right.”

‘Continuing with Red Bull Racing are becoming increasingly strong’;

https://grandpx.news/how-perez-seems...d-bull-future/

‘Today I wanted more’ admits Perez after P3 in Shanghai
21 Apr 2024
Formula One - Official Site (Video)

He may have notched up another podium finish for Red Bull in China, but Sergio Perez admitted afterwards he was aiming higher than the third step on race day in Shanghai.

‘Today I wanted more’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...377386256.html

Sergio Perez's father speaks out on Red Bull star's relationship with Max Verstappen
Sergio Perez's father has commented on the relationship between the two Red Bull drivers following a strong start to the 2024 campaign.
13:57, Sun, Apr 21, 2024
By Harry Smith
Daily and Sunday Express

Antonio Perez, father of Red Bull star Sergio Perez, has insisted that his son’s relationship with team-mate Max Verstappen is ‘much better’ at the moment after some flickers of tension during the early stages of the 2023 campaign.

“They are two tigers in the same cage is what I have told them. And if you ask me, who would you like to see Checo team up with, I would say the best in the world. So however it is today Checo is the second best in the world in Formula One.”

Perez has also benefitted from worrying less about his Red Bull colleague’s performance. The 34-year-old made a slew of errors throughout the middle part of the 2023 season as he tried desperately to cut the deficit to Verstappen. However, in 2024 he returned with a fresh attitude.

‘Sergio Perez's father speaks out’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...appen-Red-Bull

Ted Kravitz renews ‘built for Max Verstappen’ debate with Sergio Perez off the pace in China
22 Apr 2024 11:15 AM
Michelle Foster
PlanetF1.com

Spotted in conversation with Helmut Marko in China, Ted Kravitz says the Red Bull advisor may be asking Sergio Perez why he couldn’t challenge Lando Norris but that there is “no doubt” as to the reason. But while questions may be asked, potentially even by Marko who Kravitz spotted chatting to Perez after the race, about Perez’s inability to match Verstappen’s pace, the Sky reporter believes it’s a very simple answer.

“The RB20 is “built” to suit triple World Champion Verstappen’s “on the nose” driving style, Kravitz claimed. “Sergio had no pace to chase down Lando for P2,” Kravitz said in his Ted’s Notebook after the race. I don’t think he burnt his tyres out too soon, but it just sort of stayed… maybe it was a dirty air thing, maybe it was a hard tyre thing. But maybe also it was Lando driving brilliantly, which undoubtedly he was.”

“But when you consider that Max finished 13.7 seconds ahead of Lando Norris then I guess it’s a valid question that Helmut, old Helmut, has got for Checo as to why he wasn’t in the same car able to close and overtake the McLaren. Listen, there is no doubt, to answer the question as to why Max can do what he does with this car and Checo can’t, there is no doubt that the Red Bull RB20 is built around Max Verstappen. That we know.

‘Ted Kravitz renews ‘built for Max Verstappen’ debate’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ted-kr...ull-built-rb20

2024 Chinese Grand Prix: Red Bull pull off impressive double stack pit stop for Verstappen and Perez
21 Apr 2024
Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Red Bull were running 1-2 in the Chinese Grand Prix when they decided to pit leader Max Verstappen and second placed Sergio Perez on the same lap, with the crew pulling off an impeccable double stack stop on Lap 14.

‘Impressive double stack pit stop’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...392579249.html