Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Emilia Romagna GP: Game on as McLaren and Ferrari challenge Red Bull for top spot in FP3.
    Under sustained pressure for the first time this season, Red Bull’s troubles continued in final practice at Imola with McLaren 1-2 ahead of the Ferrari team-mates.
    18 May 2024 12:36 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen was P6 while his team-mate Sergio Perez crashed and brought out the red flags. In near-perfect conditions at the Imola circuit, Charles Leclerc gave Ferrari’s Tifosi even more to smile about as the five-time Grand Prix winner, in his upgraded SF-24, went quickest at the start of FP3 with a 1:16.2.

Challenged by the flying Max Verstappen, who shrugged off his Friday woes, the Ferrari went quicker still with a 1:16.0 to sit three-tenths ahead of the Red Bull driver.

Sainz replaced his team-mate up in P1 with a 1:16.067 as Verstappen, having made a brief stop in the pits as he shrugged off his Friday troubles, left the pits in his RB20. But his second run was curtailed as Fernando Alonso rear-ended the barrier at the final corner.

‘McLaren 1-2 ahead of the Ferrari team-mates’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/emilia...lifying-report

Emilia Romagna GP: Free Practice 3 Results
    Full results from Free Practice 3 from the Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola.
    18 May 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Free Practice 3 from the Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola.

Pos Num Driver Team Laps Best Diff

1 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 14 1:15.529

2 4 Lando Norris McLaren 14 1:15.829 0.300

3 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 21 1:16.067 0.538

4 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 19 1:16.087 0.558

5 63 George Russell Mercedes 15 1:16.095 0.566

6 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 21 1:16.366 0.837

7 23 Alex Albon Williams 13 1:16.470 0.941

8 31 Esteban Ocon Alpine 18 1:16.481 0.952

9 18 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 23 1:16.543 1.014

10 27 Nico Hulkenberg Haas 14 1:16.547 1.018

‘Full results from Free Practice 3’;

https://speedcafe.com/emilia-romagna...ice-3-results/

2024 Emilia Romagna GP FP3: Alonso crashes to bring out red flags in final practice
    18 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

The final practice session for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix was halted after 25 minutes when Fernando Alonso crashed his Aston Martin into the barriers after a spin at Rivazza.

‘Halted after 25 minutes’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...89635696012685

2024 Emilia Romagna GP FP3: Perez hits the wall to trigger second red flag of the hour
    18 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Sergio Perez was pushing hard on the soft tyres in the final stages of third practice at Imola when he took too much kerb at the Variante Alta chicane and hit the barriers, triggering a second red flag.

‘Second red flag of the hour’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...90935995338076

Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix: F1 Free Practice 3 Results
    Can Max Verstappen and Red Bull fix their issues experienced in FP1 and FP2 yesterday?
    May 18, 2024
    Nathan Hartley
    FormulaNerds

Oscar Piastri leads teammate Lando Norris and Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz as Fernando Alonso and Sergio Perez crash out of the final practice session of the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix. FP1 and FP2 saw reigning champions Max Verstappen and Red Bull struggle. The Dutchman finished fifth in FP1 and seventh in FP2 – not being happy with the balance of his RB20.

Meanwhile, Ferrari looks to have found more pace with its upgrades brought to their home race in Imola this weekend. Alongside the Scuderia, McLaren are also looking quick from the first two practice sessions. The big question that will be asked before FP3 today will be whether Verstappen and Red Bull can iron out their issues yesterday. The team only has one hour of running before set-ups are locked for qualifying in Parc Ferme conditions.

‘F1 Free Practice 3 Results’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/em...ice-3-results/

F1 2024 Emilia Romagna GP – Practice 3 Results
    Ferrari had dominated FP1 and FP2 but received a major shock in FP3 as McLaren found themselves right in the mix in Imola
    18 May 2024
    Brandon Sutton
    Total Motorsport

Sergio Perez and Fernando Alonso both crashed out of the final practice session just before qualifying to thrust the grid into a world of unknowns by preventing anyone from setting their final laps as Oscar Piastri topped Free Practice 3 on Saturday.

Red Bull haven’t appeared to be at the races all weekend and that form continued as Max Verstappen and Perez couldn’t find the lap time needed to beat Ferrari and McLaren, who are poised for a golden opportunity to take their second wins of the season at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola.

‘Ferrari received a major shock in FP3’

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...ice-3-results/

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    “We were tow buddies” - How Nico Hulkenberg helped Max Verstappen to pole at Imola.
    Nico Hulkenberg revealed that he and Max Verstappen were working together by giving each other a tow in F1 qualifying for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.
    18 May 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Speaking to Sky Sports after qualifying, Hulkenberg said he decided to “return the favour” to Verstappen after the Dutchman helped him out in Q2. “Max and I… we’ve been helping each other out this qualy,” he said. “He helped me a few times in Q2 and I returned the favour here. So yeah, you need support from colleagues sometimes don’t you?”

Giving his side of the story, Verstappen described the situation as “two buddies” conceding he did benefit from Hulkenberg’s tow down to Turn 1. “We were tow buddies out there,” he added. “Q2 already and Q3. I gave him a two through 17 and he gave me a tow through Turn 1 and Turn 2.”

“I think I did arrive a bit too quick for my liking, because I did miss Turn 2 a little bit. So I did gain, I did lose a bit in two. Overall I think it did help me a little bit. But when struggling all weekend you have to take all these little advantages to try and stay ahead.”

“Tow buddies”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104866...pen-pole-imola

Emilia Romagna GP: Qualifying Results
    Full results from Qualifying from the Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola.
    18 May 2024
    Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Full results from Qualifying from the Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola.

Pos Num Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Diff

1 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:15.762 1:15.176 1:14.746

2 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:15.940 1:15.407 1:14.820 0.074

3 4 Lando Norris McLaren 1:15.915 1:15.371 1:14.837 0.091

4 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:15.823 1:15.328 1:14.970 0.224

5 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:16.015 1:15.512 1:15.233 0.487

6 63 George Russell Mercedes 1:16.107 1:15.671 1:15.234 0.488

7 22 Yuki Tsunoda RB 1:15.894 1:15.358 1:15.465 0.719

8 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:16.604 1:15.677 1:15.504 0.758

9 3 Daniel Ricciardo RB 1:16.060 1:15.691 1:15.674 0.928

10 27 Nico Hulkenberg Haas 1:15.841 1:15.569 1:15.980 1.234

‘Full results from Qualifying’;

https://speedcafe.com/emilia-romagna...fying-results/

Verstappen matches Senna's record of eight straight pole positions at track where F1 great died
    18 May 2024
    Auto Racing
    TSN

IMOLA, Italy (AP) — On a weekend commemorating Ayrton Senna, Max Verstappen matched the late Brazilian's record for consecutive pole positions in Formula 1 at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

Verstappen made it eight in a row — seven this year — when his Red Bull topped qualifying on Saturday, just ahead of the McLarens of Oscar Piastri and Miami GP winner Lando Norris.

“It’s 30 years since he passed away, so it is very special, and I am very pleased to get pole, and in a way it’s a nice memory to him,” Verstappen said. “He was an incredible F1 driver, especially in qualifying. A great day for me, a great day for the team. I’m very, very happy.”

‘Verstappen matches Senna's record’;

https://www.tsn.ca/auto-racing/max-v...died-1.2122683

F1 - 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Post-Qualifying Press Conference Transcript
    FIA (Press Release)

Q: Max, pole position. Incredible performance. Tell me, please, how you could pull off a performance like this? The atmosphere was amazing, but everyone was pushing for the Ferrari driveras. But you, with a difficult Friday, you could pull off an unbelievable lap. Talk us through your lap, please?
    Max VERSTAPPEN: Yeah, really difficult weekend so far, even this morning. So I'm incredibly happy to be on pole here. I didn't expect that, but we made some final changes before qualifying. They seemed to make it feel a bit better. I could push a bit harder. And this track is unbelievable. One a qualifying lap, you know, to be on the limit here, close to the gravel… I touched the gravel in the last corner. Yeah, I'm still pumping. The adrenaline is very, very high.

Q: And in second position, great performance from Oscar Piastri. Oscar, how was your quali? Because it seems like you were struggling a bit, and then you became a bit more performant in the first try in Q3, and then in the last try, you were up there. You are going to start in first row. How was your lap?
    Oscar PIASTRI: Yeah, pretty good. A little bit of a scruffy last corner, but I think around here it's so, so difficult to do a perfect lap, so I'm really happy. I've been really comfortable with the car from the moment we put it on track yesterday, and so, so close to pole, but very happy. It's been a little while since I've been back up here, so I'm very happy with how this weekend's going so far.

Q: Lando Norris. Well done, mate. You're just a fresh winner in Formula 1. Great qualifying today. All the grandstands and the people were cheering a bit for you because you are so great in Formula 1. How was your lap? How was your quali?
    Lando NORRIS: Thanks. Yeah, great. I mean, P3 is not a bad job at all, and yeah, within a tenth, both of us for P1. So, tiny, tiny margins, but I think for us as a team, we've had a very good day, a very good weekend so far. Oscar's done a great job, and so did Max, so it’s exciting. We're close, and I can't wait for tomorrow.

‘Post-Qualifying Press Conference Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-emi...nce-transcript

Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix: F1 Qualifying Results
    More Italian sunshine greeted fans at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari for today's Formula 1 Qualifying session
    18 May 2024
    Hannah May
    FormulaNerds

Here's what Max had to say on his "hard-earned" pole position �� pic.twitter.com/LFeKAeKrnC
    — Sky Sports F1 (@SkySportsF1) May 18, 2024

FP1: P5
    FP2: P7
    FP3: P6
    QUALIFYING: P1
    A champion's performance when it mattered ��#F1 #ImolaGP pic.twitter.com/ftUsS76Fwn
    — Formula 1 (@F1) May 18, 2024

‘Italian sunshine greeted fans’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/em...fying-results/

F1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2024 – Qualifying Results
    Max Verstappen of Red Bull was fastest in Qualifying for the 2024 Emilia Romagna GP at Imola and will start from pole position
    18 May 2024
    By John Smith
    Total Motorsport

Max Verstappen pulled a special lap out of his Red Bull to take pole position for the 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola and was just 0.074s ahead of McLaren driver Oscar Piastri. Here are the full results from Qualifying at Imola.

After looking the team to beat all weekend, Ferrari fell at the final hurdle with Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz only able to finish fourth and fifth, behind the Red Bull and both McLaren cars.

Piastri‘s stellar lap earned him a front-row start, edging out his McLaren teammate Lando Norris, who will begin the race from third, pending a post-session stewards’ investigation for allegedly impeding Kevin Magnussen’s Haas during the session.

‘Ferrari fell at the final hurdle’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...fying-results/